Join now - be part of our community!

Native Video App BUG on Android Oreo

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Native Video App BUG on Android Oreo

So I'm starting this with hopes that it will come through to Sony software programers...

Worst bug in Android Oreo is in native Video app.

Upon fresh restart of TV Video app is working fine and playing all media from external drives but when you change sound output to external speakers everything stops and it wont play any type of file anymore...even chrashes TV to another restart...

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Zlays84,

Can you try disconnecting all your external devices, press and hold the power button on the remote for 10 seconds to restart the TV, and try using a 3rd party app from the Play store to play the content and tell us the outcome?

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@Tenneen9000 wrote:

Hi Zlays84,

Can you try disconnecting all your external devices, press and hold the power button on the remote for 10 seconds to restart the TV, and try using a 3rd party app from the Play store to play the content and tell us the outcome?

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

I probably restarted my TV on Oreo more than I restarted it whole last year when it was on Nugat...so yeah I tried that...

I'm using VLC and it works but I like Sony video app much more...

Will there be a fix for this in future so I can normaly use Sony Video app as before?

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Zlays84,

Can you try resetting the app by uninstalling any available updates for it under settings-apps and clear the data.

Also, can you tell me what happens when you change the digital audio out setting under Settings-sound to auto2?

All the best,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Cleared data and cache from video app so basically reset it there's no updates because app is not on playstore so no updates to uninstall...

Switched to Auto 2 and same problem sound dissapeared and playback stopped and couldn't be resumed...

Switched back to TV speakers and sound remains absent even from digital cable broadcast...

I was forced to restart my TV...

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

Similar happened to me today. Accidentally opened a video with native app, using my soundbar. Luckily, I was able to open it with VLC after, so the TV didn't crash this time. When I turned off the soundbar, there still was sound from the TV speakers using any app or playstation. But I couldn't manage to get any sound with digital broadcast. Turning back soundbar on resolved the issue. 

This situation just gets funnier...

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Zlays84,

Can you tell us the outcome of restoring factory settings?

@Itom86

Have you tried all the steps mentioned above? If you did, do let us know the outcome.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@Tenneen9000 wrote:

Hi Zlays84,

Can you tell us the outcome of restoring factory settings?

@Itom86

Have you tried all the steps mentioned above? If you did, do let us know the outcome.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

I did a factory reset on my TV twice after Oreo and no luck, followed all the steps above and still bugs remain...

Obviously I'm not the only one having this issue so can you confirm to us all here on this forum that you're working on a fix and when it will be released?

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

I didn't have to perform factory reset in this situation. A simple TV restart solved the issue.

Obviously, after the update (and the first time having sound issues) I've done factory reset. Everybody knows that there is nothing to do with factory reset, sony need to push out a new update to fix this issue.  Rather than ask owners to erase their tv-s every time when something crashes. 

It's just rediciolus that they step back with every update rather than go forward...

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi there,

I am just a regular customer, however I'll gladly pass this on to my Sony contact to see what can be done.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000