Join now - be part of our community!

Native Video App BUG on Android Oreo

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Native Video App BUG on Android Oreo

So I'm starting this with hopes that it will come through to Sony software programers...

Worst bug in Android Oreo is in native Video app.

Upon fresh restart of TV Video app is working fine and playing all media from external drives but when you change sound output to external speakers everything stops and it wont play any type of file anymore...even chrashes TV to another restart...

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

DTS-HD mandates a DTS compatible core which the TV is capable of extracting for transmission over ARC or S/PDIF. ENCODING_DTS_HD API is broken with current BRAVIA firmware though. Bitstream reproducibly drops out after some seconds. Same is true for DTS-HD MA and HRA.

Yeah when I play a file with DTS HD it constantly drops but as I said i switch to audio track 2 and it's Dolby digital 5.1 better than nothing for sure...

But I don't understand how it was working perfectly on Nougat and now they have problems...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@zlays84  schrieb:
Yeah when I play a file with DTS HD it constantly drops but as I said i switch to audio track 2 and it's Dolby digital 5.1 better than nothing for sure...

Not every media file has a secondary DD track...

In Kodi, one can simply disable DTS-HD support for the BRAVIA. Kodi then extracts DTS core by itself and forwards it to the BRAVIA which works perfectly.

But I don't understand how it was working perfectly on Nougat and now they have problems...

Nougat did not support the official DTS and DTS-HD APIs at all (ENCODING_DTS & ENCODING_DTS_HD). The behavior very much depended on the app. It might have decoded DTS to stereo PCM or tried to output via PCM hack (like Kodi s*h*i*t*t*y builds or Arcos). Stock Video app supported DTS passthrough in proprietary way. It also did proper DTS core extraction for DTS-HD.

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

@zlays84  schrieb:

Not every media file has a secondary DD track...

In Kodi, one can simply disable DTS-HD support for the BRAVIA. Kodi then extracts DTS core by itself and forwards it to the BRAVIA which works perfectly.

Nougat did not support the official DTS and DTS-HD APIs at all (ENCODING_DTS & ENCODING_DTS_HD). The behavior very much depended on the app. It might have decoded DTS to stereo PCM or tried to output via PCM hack (like Kodi s*h*i*t*t*y builds or Arcos). Stock Video app supported DTS passthrough in proprietary way. It also did proper DTS core extraction for DTS-HD.

Tht last thing you wrote...I know when I was playing file with DTS HD Master audio it properly decoded it to standard DTS 5.1 which was perfect for my audio system...

So if that was all native video app doing why just dont fix it there?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Because Sony entirely changed the way passthrough works for DTS formats. It was done in a proprietary way in the Video app before which was bad because it did not work in third party apps like Kodi, Plex a.s.o. Sony switched to standard Android APIs ENCODING_DTS and ENCODING_DTS_HD in Oreo. That's a great move actually but they now have to fix their audio driver with respect to ENCODING_DTS_HD.

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Because Sony entirely changed the way passthrough works for DTS formats. It was done in a proprietary way in the Video app before which was bad because it did not work in third party apps like Kodi, Plex a.s.o. Sony switched to standard Android APIs ENCODING_DTS and ENCODING_DTS_HD in Oreo. That's a great move actually but they now have to fix their audio driver with respect to ENCODING_DTS_HD.

Okay that explains it...

Lets hope they will fix that in the near future...

It doesn't look like it's impossible to fix/update...