Join now - be part of our community!

RX10M4 Connect to Smartphone problems

profile.country.GB.title
dojones6298
Explorer

RX10M4 Connect to Smartphone problems

Just bought a new RX10M4 and whilst pleased so far with the camera performance one of the features in determining my choice was the ability to use my smartphone to quickly add images from the camera to the phone to add to social media. This is proving impossible as the phone app IEM will not connect to the camera. I'm using a Samsung A50 with Android 11 so the spec is correct. Is anyone else having issues?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Do you follow One of theese steps?:
Controlling the camera using an Android smartphone (NFC One-touch remote)
https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1720/v1/en/contents/TP0001584444.html

Controlling the camera using an Android smartphone (QR code)
https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1720/v1/en/contents/TP0001593201.html

Controlling the camera using an Android smartphone (SSID)
https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1720/v1/en/contents/TP0001584440.html
profile.country.GB.title
dojones6298
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried all of these options and get so far but always ends with the spinning disc of doom! I have a friend who has an iPhone and he kindly downloaded IEM to that and within 1 minute we transferred an image to his phone without any agro! I think it is the IEM software that's at fault and reviews seem to confirm this. This is most disappointing as having spent a considerable amount purchasing this camera I am unable to use one of the main features I was upgrading for. The camera seems fine (3 days in use) but the IEM app is pathetic in the Android version.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Forgive me but it is much more likely that the "problem" is on the mobile device.
Can you try with another one, but Android?

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Usually sony’s app are made for android (that they know very well as used in their phones and tvs), then adapted for ios.

So, I find strange that IEM doesn’t work on android.

Probably is more simple to make the app working on ios than on android, but it’s at the origin of a choice of owners 😅

Try to explore access right assigned from your system to the app, and possibly interaction with other apps and settings (for example battery saver apps, functions as bt and wifi deactivated, etc).

The IEM app works, you have to investigate what’s wrong in your phone

profile.country.GB.title
dojones6298
Explorer

Thanks for quick response. I will try another device but before I purchased the camera I checked the requirements and in the advertising material I read that smartphones using Android, I think version 8 and above were compatible. I use a Galaxy A50 which is using Android 11. 

profile.country.GB.title
dojones6298
Explorer

Danardeng thanks for comment, I don't use battery saving on my phone and I'm not with BT so don't have their app. I will try it on my wife's galaxy A51 before I give up, but I wasn't expecting to have to buy a new phone also!

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Mine are only examples, I can’t know what you have on your phone.

For sure if you disable bt or deny access to it you’ll have problems with IEM.

You don’t need to buy a new phone, and is not necessary that you work to demonstrate that IEM doesn’t work on android, because actually it works on thousands of devices like your.

You need to work on your phone to find what is wrong.

Here nobody can help you, because actually you doesn’t describe what happens and what doesn’t work in you device.

profile.country.GB.title
dojones6298
Explorer

I have now tried it on my wife's Galaxy A51 and it's working fine on that. On my phone galaxy A50 I can connect the camera but when I try any of the three functions, for instance send image to phone via Fn button, I get to the point where the camera is displaying the QR code and attempt to view it with the phone and both the camera and the phone have the spinning 'in progress' image and eventually the app times out with 'cannot connect to camera' and it asks me if I want to send report to Sony which I have several times. Each of the other functions end up the same way. I will try disabling some of the features on my phone to see if they are somehow interfering. Clearly it's a phone issue but frustratingly the phone is brilliant at everything else so I don't particularly want to ditch it.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Have you tried to connect to camera’s wifi SSID manually and then return to the app?

When the error is active, in which wifi is connected the phone?