Join now - be part of our community!

Blue ray that isn't grainy

profile.country.en_GB.title
JohnnyD123
Explorer

Blue ray that isn't grainy

I have a Sony KDL52Z4500U Bravia TV, and I'm trying to watch bluerays via my Sony PS3.  I watched the latest die hard film which was super grainy, but I thought maybe that was just that film.

But I've just tried watching the first episode of the battlestar galactica box set which opens with the producer or director or whoever banging on about how the whole series was filmed in HD on digital tape, and now thanks to the wonders of blueray we can now watch it in the amazing HD quality it was intended but couldn't be shown in the regular TV series.

So I sit back to watch this masterpiece of HD quality, and guess what - grainy.

After googling for similar problems I've adjusted some of the tv and PS3 settings but can't get any improvment.

So I want to go out any buy a new blueray player that actually works with my TV to provide a decent quality picture, preferably out of the box without me having to faff about turning dynamic whatever on and off.

Any suggestions either for a Sony blue ray player or home cinema system?  (3D)  If I can get it from argos even better as a I have a load of argos vouchers to use and I don't have to wait for delivery...

13 REPLIES 13
JohnnyD123
Explorer

And if it's a home cinema system, then one without any lag on the sound... I have a panasonic HCS at the moment and the voices don't match up to the picture...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets see if I can explain a few things:

1. A 3D bluray player will not produce 3D on your TV, as your TV is not capable of 3D
  2. If you are looking to replace a piece of equipment, I would recommend starting with the TV.
  3. I use my PS3 as a blu-ray player as well (my only bluray player), it works absolutely fine.  The player/device itself will not produce the grainy-ness, therefore another new bluray player will likely produce the same results (ie grainy-ness)

What can we do:

I think the grainy-ness that you are experiencing is due to one or more of the following:

1. The blu-ray disc quality itself
  2. Connections
  3. Settings on your TV (and maybe a setting on the PS3)
  4. Your TV

In regards to the first option (the bluray disc itself), I understand that you have tried a couple of disc's, I "could" understand the Battlestar Galactica, but dont understand why the latest Die Hard movie would be grainy.  I personally would try one more bluray disc, as a test out, but not a re-production.

In regards to the second option (connections), you have not explained how you have connected the PS3 player to the TV.  I am assuming that it is via HDMI.  If not, that would probably explain the issue.  If it is via HDMI, replace the HDMI cable (you never know) and they are a reasonable price for a decent quality one too.

In regards to the third option (settings), ensure that your PS3 is outputting 1080p, as both your TV and PS3 are capable of this.  I understand that you have looked at the settings of your TV, but would advise pursing this a little more, once set you wouldnt need to constantly change them anyhow. 

In regards to the 4th option, I would probably test the PS3/bluray's on another TV firstly.  As this would probably confirm that its your TV at fault (or at least rule it out)

At the moment, I cant think of anything else. 

Cheers

JohnnyD123
Explorer

Sorry, wrong one, it's the KDL-55HX85 (which is 3d).  It's connected by an expensivish HDMI cable, but I'll try another.  I don't think it's the TV, as it seems perfectly capable of displaying very sharp, clear pictures.  The ps3 is set to 1080, I don't know where that setting is on the TV, but when I switch to the PS3 channel it does display 1080 in the info bar at the top, so I assume it is autodetecting it from the ps3 signal.  I'll also try the ps3 on the other TV (KDL52Z4500U) to see if that is any different.  I'm not really sure which TV settings I should be changing.  The main on suggested on the PS3 forum was the dynamic contrast, but my TV doesn't seem to have that setting.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There should be no reason why the picture is so different then.  The only thing left is the source (ie the bluray itself).

You have the latest Die Hard.  Are you able to post a photo? 

JohnnyD123
Explorer

IMG_0457.JPG

JohnnyD123
Explorer

IMG_0459.JPG

JohnnyD123
Explorer

IMG_0458.JPG