Join now - be part of our community!

Blue ray that isn't grainy

profile.country.en_GB.title
JohnnyD123
Explorer

Blue ray that isn't grainy

I have a Sony KDL52Z4500U Bravia TV, and I'm trying to watch bluerays via my Sony PS3.  I watched the latest die hard film which was super grainy, but I thought maybe that was just that film.

But I've just tried watching the first episode of the battlestar galactica box set which opens with the producer or director or whoever banging on about how the whole series was filmed in HD on digital tape, and now thanks to the wonders of blueray we can now watch it in the amazing HD quality it was intended but couldn't be shown in the regular TV series.

So I sit back to watch this masterpiece of HD quality, and guess what - grainy.

After googling for similar problems I've adjusted some of the tv and PS3 settings but can't get any improvment.

So I want to go out any buy a new blueray player that actually works with my TV to provide a decent quality picture, preferably out of the box without me having to faff about turning dynamic whatever on and off.

Any suggestions either for a Sony blue ray player or home cinema system?  (3D)  If I can get it from argos even better as a I have a load of argos vouchers to use and I don't have to wait for delivery...

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

:anguished: shocking for something meant to be blu ray quality

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, rather poor quality.

In the Picture menu (display settings), try selecting:

• Picture Mode = Cinema 1
  • Noise Reduction = Auto
  • MPEG Noise Reduction = Auto
  • Dot Noise Reduction = Auo
  • Reality Creation = Look in here to see if there are any settings worth adjusting (im unsure)

As I understand it, selecting Cinema 1 as a picture mode turns off most of the artificial processing.  To confirm this, visit the "Advanced Settings" area and ensure things such as the following are OFF

• Black Corrector = OFF
  • Adv. Contrast Enhancer = OFF
  • LED Dynamic Control = LOW
  • Auto Light Limiter = OFF
  • Detail Enhancer = OFF
  • Edge Enhancer = OFF
  • Skin Neutraliser = OFF
  • Any others?

If adjusting the picture settings like this does NOT resolve the issue, you may need to test with another Bluray to be honest, just to rule it out.  Choose a current bluray (not a reproduction, or re-mastered etc)

Also ensure that you are doing these settings on Input Type = Current (if doing it via PS3's HDMI) or even Common (for all inputs).  Also worth writing down the current settings (just incase you need to revert back to it later, better safe than sorry as such...)

Hope this helps.

profile.country.en_GB.title
JohnnyD123
Explorer

Well I know it's not the TV, just watched the latest star trek film on Sky and it was crystal clear.  Interestingly one of the Sky channels is starting the BSG series tonight (am taping) so that should give me a benchmark of the quality of BSG...

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have gone through the settings.  I honestly do not know what to suggest, other than contacting Sony directly : HERE