Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio update not updating

profile.country.en_GB.title
jugaugh
Visitor

Vaio update not updating

I am using Vaio Update version 5.4.1.04200. Upon checking for updates it come up with the following message...

A new version of VAIO Update is available. VAIO Update cannot be used unless it is updated. Update now?

I click yes, then the icon in the system tray shows it is downloading the update but then after around 1 minute it stops and nothing happens. So, until this is fixed i cannot use VAIO Update.

Any solutions or a direct download link to download the latest version?

If it makes difference my model number is VGN-AW41MF

Thanks.

95 REPLIES 95
anwillo92
Visitor

Hi mjk43wr,

THanks for keeping us updated

I did have McAfee installed on my laptop  when i bought it but have since uninstalled it. Now use WIndows  anti-vitrus and firewall and have turned them off when trying to  complete the update - to no avail.

mjk43wr
Visitor

Hi all

I uninstalled McAfee completely and tried running the Vaio update with absolutely no antivirus software whatsoever. Still the same problem.

This is clearly not an anti-virus problem and it is beholden on Sony to find a proper solution.

Rich - what method is there for escalation within Sony to senior management ?

Or do I need just to keep on emailing the CEO Europe's mailbox ?

It is a real shame that Sony have some super products, like this Vaio, and such poor customer aftersales service - a few years ago we bought our daughter a fancy mp3 machine from Sony, the software on which packed up after a year and they were as unhelpful as it is possible to imagine. Thank goodness for Ipods now !

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mjk43wr,

Is your dialogue with Support ongoing or have they closed the case again?

I notice that your most recent post has been escalated to Support by one of the moderators which will not amuse Support if it is ongoing as this will cause confusion!

The escalation process does bring a problem to the attention of senior management within the relevant department. Should you wish to pursue it to a higher level then use whatever contact details you have or can find...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mjk43wr
Visitor

Radwan called again and I explained that I had completely uninstalled McAfee but had still met the error message.

I then had another 30 frustrating minutes on the phone with him trying an install in safe mode (error) and then creating a new user account and trying within that (error) and then using msconfig to temporarily remove a program from startup (error).

Radwan then gave me the line again about needing "a full system reload because there must be a software conflict". I reminded him that I wouldn't do that and in any case, all the software on this laptop (my wife's) was loaded be my when we bought it at the beginning of 2011 and nothing has been added since but this Vaio update problem began only a couple of months ago. Furthermore, there is nothing the least bit unusual about the software on this laptop. Everything installed on here is a standard high street product - things like Adobe Photoshop Elements and Microsoft Office.

I suggested to Radwan that the techies who actually write the program for Vaio Update should be asked to think about the problem. Radwan requested a screenshot of the error message which I took and will shortly send to him.

profile.country.de_DE.title
konzty
Visitor

Hi!

I have the very same problem here.

But i may have futher information or at least experience on the problem:

A few weeks ago, I think it was in September, when Vaio update was still up-to-date I ran it and it reported to me that there are a few updates available...

I had not been able to install the updates.

I tried downloading them Saturday afternoon, CET.

I tried downloading them Saturday evening, CET.

I tried downloading them Sunday morning, CET.

I tried downloading them Monday early evening, CET.

You see where I'm going?

At Some point, I tried downloading it at Thursday morning, around 3 am ... CET.

I even watched the process.

And all three updates ran fine in about half an hour...

I thought:

European servers overloaded during "rush hour" ... and forgot about it.

Now a few days ago i tried starting Vaio Update again... and what is this?

Vaio Update starting the update process ... and stopping after a short time.

Yesterday early evening, CET.

Today, early evening, CET.

And now this:

I followed one of the provided links to the direct downloads and tried using the ftp servers.

On each file i tried to download:

Server Error after a few seconds to minutes.

So Sony, now you tell me this is my MacAfeeee Scanner, which was installed by you guys in the first place [and by the way does not exist on my system anymore for a long time now]???

Look for a better explanation!

Maybe i should reinstall my system?

Or dance around my notebook three times naked?

Or I will just have to say:

"I want my vaio to go home - I want my vaio to go home - I want my vaio to go home" and buy a MacBook?

Phhhh Sony Support.

Thank you for the help you are [NOT] providing.

I will not bother you anymore for you obviously cannot help.

Goodbye.

profile.country.de_DE.title
konzty
Visitor

Of course I will further debug your servers problems for you.

Because you do that so well with our notebooks.

baanis
Visitor

probably u using 32 bit operating system i fink and thats way u have succesful updating maybe but who have 64 bit they have problems mee too and i tried many times like user like admin, manual, auto..nothing it crashes allmost in the end.i start think that vaio laptops maded some freaky gy who not tested theese machines but throwed selling and we testing this problematic machines like test rabbits :slight_smile:

Message was edited by: baanis

Message was edited by: baanis

jogreer31
Explorer

My notebook does the same, model VGN-32S. Tried everything but I'm just wasting my time. Sony may say they are looking at the problem but that gives rise to another problem, their Customer Relations are lousy. Unfortunately you may have a long wait to rectify the problem-if at all possible.

profile.country.GB.title
rodger1331
New

Hi

I'm new to this forum and new to using sony vaio, always used a Dell machine since the eighties. I purchased a ne F series laptop which was customised by me and picked it up on Saturday 10/12/2011. Worked my way through the startup guidance procedures and opened up Vaio Care.

System meassage says update available so clicks the update. The update downloaded Vaio Care disappeared from the screen, restarted Vaio Care and the same update meassage appears. Repeated the  procedure a few times then found this thread.

This a a brand new machine with no additional software or or applications loaded and still this meassage about an update pops up. Previouse posts sugested recovering back to the factory setting but I am at the factory settings.

As a first time user of Sony Vaio I am somewhat dissapointed that a brand new machine has a problem which has been ongoing for a long time without a solution.

For your information I am running Vaio Care ver 7.0.1.08040, on a VPCF23C5E laptop running Bios ver R2150V3.

Any suggestions from the forum as to how to resolve this problem would be much appreciated

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rodger1331 and welcome,

I'm not sure whether your problem is the same as other respondents as the original post related to Vaio Update. But the chances are Vaio Update is part of Vaio Care and that the two are linked.

This will be brought to the attention of Support but if you require an immediate response contact Vaio Link via the tab at the top of this page...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat