Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio update not updating

profile.country.en_GB.title
jugaugh
Visitor

Vaio update not updating

I am using Vaio Update version 5.4.1.04200. Upon checking for updates it come up with the following message...

A new version of VAIO Update is available. VAIO Update cannot be used unless it is updated. Update now?

I click yes, then the icon in the system tray shows it is downloading the update but then after around 1 minute it stops and nothing happens. So, until this is fixed i cannot use VAIO Update.

Any solutions or a direct download link to download the latest version?

If it makes difference my model number is VGN-AW41MF

Thanks.

95 REPLIES 95
mjk43wr
Visitor

I too look forward to hearing about a solution to this annoying problem.

Are Sony definitely still working on this ?

:thinking:

goldbox
Visitor

I dont know whats going on the silence from sony is deafening, i've had this problem for a few weeks before i found this forum, and yet stil there seems to be nothing coming from Sony, i tried ringing, but if your yearly guarantee is up you can only phone the premium technical number and i dont see why i should pay a fortune when its their end that's faulty. All my individual VA10 updates like PMB photo and other stuff are all failing on updates now too because its saying the drivers not compatible and i need to update VA10 5 but obviously i cant.I will never purchase or recommend a Sony Computer again, its only since all this that i've realised how diabolical their customer service is...or lack of it, and i'm not the only one, searching various forums, there are numerous complaints about their lack of contact and attitude. Since i first joined this thread theres been nothing from Sony even though i'm sure they must know something, even if they had the courtesy to let us know whats happening, it would be apprecited but just to say nothing says it all about the company and what they think of their customers obviously. For now it looks like a waiting game i'm afraid. ;(

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi goldbox,

Support is aware of the problem and an update from them has been requested.

Don’t expect a reply from Support here directly as this is a user forum.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Just to update you all and keep this thread alive, an update on this problem was requested at the end of last week - unfortunately, to date, no response from support :slight_frown:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mjk43wr,

Usually a member with escalation permission receives feedback from Support and then posts the solution in the thread.

Unfortunately, in this instance, feedback from Support is almost non existant :angry:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mjk43wr
Visitor

Rich - you say not to expect a reply from Sony on this Forum; how then will I find out when Sony have actually found a workaround ?

We did say a few years ago after a disastrous experience buying Sony's rival to the Ipod that we'd not buy a Sony product again....but the Vaio seemed so nice, we couldn't resist. I see however that Sony customer support has not improved one jot.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

A further update...

The OP in this thread has had the problem solved but the issues experienced by the rest of the respondents are still being investigated. I understand that mjk43wr will be contacted.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
anwillo92
Visitor

Hi - I too am having the same problem. The message just says "Cjeck system settings such as anti-virus software settings, and run the installer again".

I have previously uninstalled McAfee and now use the Windows anti-virus software. I did an online support chat with Sony a few weeks back and they couldn't help - hopefully there'll be a response on here some time as the error pop-ups are really annoying!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

anwillo92 - We are still awaiting a solution from Support....

mjk43wr – have Support contacted you?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi all,

OK, here is the latest but I don’t think you will be too impressed...

mjk43wr has failed to respond to both phone calls and emails from Vaio Link and also a request in this thread for confirmation that Support have been in contact. Support has therefore closed the case.

However, below is an extract of the advice that would have been given.

Please disable the antivirus software as it might be blocking certain ports of the connection to VAIO update server.

Please reinstall VAIO update.You can reinstall a pre-installed program or driver using VAIO Care utility (Start -> All programs -> VAIO Care)1. From VAIO Care menu select "Recovery & Restore"2. Select "Recovery"3. Select "Reinstall applications and drivers"4. Click "Next"5. Put check marks next to the components of the application you want to reinstall6. Click "Next" and follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the program.

Else, Kindly be advised that the most effective course of action seems to be a full system recovery. Important Note: A full recovery will return the unit to its original factory condition, deleting all traces of your own personal data and settings. It is strongly recommended that you back up all relevant data to an external source before following the below steps. To carry out a full recovery from the recovery partition, please carry out the following: 1. Ensure your VAIO is connected to the AC power source.2. Shutdown your VAIO fully.3. Press ASSIST button which is located above the keyboard of your VAIO.4. When the VAIO Care Rescue software is fully loaded select Start Recovery Wizard option.5. You will be asked if you want to rescue your data.- if your data is not backed up, you can select "Yes" and follow instructions on the screen to back them up on a DVD or on an external hard drive.- if your data is already backed up, select "Skip Rescue" option, put a thick next to "I'm sure" and click on Start Recovery. Important Note: This process will typically take about an hour. If you encounter any difficulties, or the process takes much longer than expected, please let me know. Once the recovery is complete, you will be asked to set up the computer again with the user's details.

Again, the above is basic before being able to get more into detail.

The update should work for all models, but of course there is a possibiility one lacks (there is a serial number verification). in this example, we speak of a CTO model which comes with a non-standard 8-digit code so it could happen a particular one is missing out.

If the above was already done and still it is not ok, then we need to know step-by-step what they do plus the versions installed and what they want to install.

If any of the respondents in this thread are still experiencing problems with Vaio Update, and are prepared to follow all of the above guidance then please post back with the details requested in the last paragraph.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat