Join now - be part of our community!

Function keys stopped working on laptop

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
spock123
Visitor

Function keys stopped working on laptop

my keyboard function keys have stopped working on my laptop PCG-8N2M possibly since I uploaded the latest XP service pack. How can I get them working again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi spock123 that's a golden oldie Vaio yoiu have there.

Please help me with the correct model type - the PCG-8N2M you are quoting is the chassis type from the bottom of the Vaio - is there a model type on the screen surround?  I think you probably have a PCG-GRT815E but please confirm.

If you do have a GRT800-Series then you need to download the Original Utilities Package from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=PCG-GRT815E

....and run Utils.exe to reinstall the Utilities responsible for the Function keys.

Alternatively, you may have this already in a folder C:\utils on your Vaio and just need to run it.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi spock123 that's a golden oldie Vaio yoiu have there.

Please help me with the correct model type - the PCG-8N2M you are quoting is the chassis type from the bottom of the Vaio - is there a model type on the screen surround?  I think you probably have a PCG-GRT815E but please confirm.

If you do have a GRT800-Series then you need to download the Original Utilities Package from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=PCG-GRT815E

....and run Utils.exe to reinstall the Utilities responsible for the Function keys.

Alternatively, you may have this already in a folder C:\utils on your Vaio and just need to run it.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
spock123
Visitor

Hi

Thanks mate.

It's actually a PCG-GRT815M and yes a bit elderly! But it had c:/utils installed already and running this made it all work again. Thanks