Join now - be part of our community!

BDP S1100 iplayer 'no documents found'

Jeejayr
New

BDP S1100 iplayer 'no documents found'

Help! iPlayer has been working fine till a few days ago, now it just says 'no documents found'. I've tried resetting etc, switching off router etc but nothing. Based UK, all software up to date... HELP!
Tags (3)
64 REPLIES 64
davscott2
Explorer

Just bought a new BDP S5500 - annoyed but also relieved that it is a general proble and not my system. I want to connect with the BBC as well as my Mac (for photos and music). Any ideas on the latter as well or is that a Sony problem as well?

I have the same problem with BBC services on a new BDP S3100 player. As access to I player was a key reason for buying this, I will be returning it next week unless there is a speedy solution to this. I was also disappointed that there has been no reply to an email I sent to Sony yesterday though, judging by the previous comments, this seems true to form with Sony Customer Services. Pity as I have found their products good in the past.
pengipete

It will take them a couple of days to reply - but it's not worth waiting for.  You'll be told to reset the box and "if" that doesn't work, they'll want your postcode and line-speed.  In other words, they're only interested in trying to prove it's your fault their tat doesn't work.

pwp1100
Explorer

Today I received the following reply from the BBC iPlayer "support" team, which I would summarise as "reset everything, then contact Sony if it still doesn't work":

Thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer support team.

I understand you’re experiencing problems streaming BBC iPlayer programmes on your Sony BDP S1100 Blu Ray player.

I would suggest you view the list of approved Sony devices from the below link:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/where_to_get_iplayer/television/

If it is listed in the certified devices and still you are experiencing the problem then turn all equipment of at the wall and restart it, including your router. Then ensure that you are using to most up-to-date firmware for the TV, available directly from the manufacturer.

If the problem continues then contact the manufacturer and confirm if BBC iPlayer is available via your Sony device.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue and once again thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Not much help there then.

Meanwhile I tried a different tactic.  In my local John Lewis store today, I spotted a couple of sales staff on the sales floor wearing LG and Samsung branded shirts.  I then toured the aisles of the AV department until I found a very polite and helpful guy wearing a Sony branded shirt.  I guess they're all trying to shift new tellies for the Strictly Come Dancing massive.  Anyway, he confirmed that he not only worked for Sony, but had recently attended a four day product briefing at which no mention had been made of problems with iPlayer on BDP- Sx100 series products.  Furthermore as there was no network on the shop floor (!!!) I would be unable to demonstrate the problem to him.  He did however take my email address, and promised to pass my concerns on to the head of the UK TV product line and to get back with me with an official response.  Fingers crossed!

A couple of other clues which may help the Sony technical guys diagnose the problem - if they bother to read this thread: I tried a few more applications last night and found that a couple of them fail with an "SSL" (Secure Socket Layer?) error code, for example AccuWeather. May be related, may not be related.  Ho hum...

pwp1100
Explorer

Speaking of John Lewis, here is a review of the BDP S1100 dated 21/09/2013, which I just found on their website:

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bdp-s1100-smart-blu-ray-disc-dvd-player/p457196#tabinfo-ratings

In case the link does not work, here is the text:

I bought this today primarily to connect to the BBC i-Player--while it connects fine to 5 on Demand, Sky News and other services,it refuses to connect to the i-Player--I have contacted Sony who admit that it is a known problem with this model and they claim their engineers are working on it but they cannot say when it might be resolved. This appears to be another example of the saddening decline in the reliability of Sony products (recall the nationwide fiasco involving the non-functioning of Sony DVD recorders earlier this summer).

Somebody within the Sony organisation clearly knows what is going on, but the information is buried deep within the organisation. Sony have failed to communicate the information to their customer support department, whose first line response to iPlayer issues with these boxes remains the uttlerly futile "upgrade and press the reset button"; to the BBC iPlayer team whose present advice is little better; and indeed to their sales staff. 

To Sony: didn't you learn anything from past PR disasters?  Couldn't you at least issue a network update which displays the message "Sorry about iPlayer, we're working on it"?

pwp1100
Explorer

I have to take some of that back.  Despite the initial repsonse form the BBC iPlayer team, the following note is now on their website:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/sony_blu_ray0913

Sony Blu-ray players – Why am I unable to access BBC iPlayer on some supported Sony devices?

Please note that we are aware of reports from users who are having problems accessing BBC iPlayer on some supported Sony Blu-ray players.

This is currently under investigation. We'll update this FAQ once further information becomes available.

So pengipete you're quite right, the BBC is trying to help....

pengipete

I'm always right :laughing:

pengipete

A question for everyone reporting this problem.  It may sound odd but there's a suggestion been made elsewhwere that this could be caused - or highlighted - by ISPs using some "unusual" filtering on their customers' lines.  So...

What ISP are you with and is it "unbundled" or just a repackaged BT line?

I'm with TalkTalk - unbundled.

profile.country.GB.title
oddie2004
Explorer

Well as of now the BBC apps are up and working on my BDP-S5100, after not working for the last couple of days maybe longer.

pwp1100
Explorer

BT, not bundled with anything other than bog standard line rental.

If the packet filter theory is correct - was it the traffic or the filter which was non-standard?  Will we ever know?